Monday Ministerial Musings
By Rev. Mark William Ennis
Blog Number 04
January 27, 2020
God and Money!
I was struggling for a blog topic when I asked two hostesses at Applebee’s in the Fashion plaza what they would like to read a blog about. I wish I had remembered to write down their names to give them proper credit. But this will have to do. They wanted to read about “business and wall street.” I don’t know a huge amount about those topics but know a bit about what the Bible says about money. I hope that this blog is close enough to what they asked for.
What the Bible tells us about money:
- The Bible tells us that how we manage money is important. If we don’t manage a little bit of money well, God we never entrust us with a lot of money.
- The first tenth of our money earned belongs to God. Give the first tenth of your money to the church, or whatever faith community that you belong to. If you don’t belong to a faith community, find one and join it.
- We don’t want to test God by being irresponsible. The second tenth of our income needs to go into the bank to be saved for a difficult time. I realize that it is easier for some people than others to save money but we all could do some. If you tell me that it is “impossible” I will ask if you have tried. We all could spend less than we do.
- When we have gained prosperity, we have an obligation to help those who have been less blessed than we have been. We must never fall in love with our money. Our money is a tool to do good things to others.
The stock market:
I am a small investor. Here is my own advice on the stock market.
- Never invest money that you need.
- Never buy stock to sell it. Buy stock that pays a dividend and buy to receive dividends.
- If you want to get rich quickly, you will go broke. True wealth takes a long time to accumulate. There are no shortcuts to long-term investments.
God wants us to take money seriously without getting greedy about it. How we manage the money that God gives us is a barometer of how close we are with God. Do it well for God’s glory!
Again, I thank the hostesses at Applebee’s for this blog idea. I hope that they, and everyone who is reading this, will find prosperity in life.
To read more of Pastor Mark’s writings, please order a copy of his book: https://deepriverbooks.com/books/the-circle-of-seven/